13.2.12

New York Fashion Week

Like many I don't have the luxury of attending fashion week, or should I say, I have yet to be invited. I'm not frothed in clothes sent to me by designers earning for their one of a kind pieces to drape my body, rather my NYFW experience consists of me watching the runway shows online while I snack on potato chips. Every now and then in between my fantasizing about being at the shows and scribbling notes in my journal about the collections, I pick out the crumbs that have fallen into my knits, wipe my salt and grease decorated fingertips on my pants and continue to the explore a world that I am beginning to fall madly in love with. Through the myriad of runway shows I've watched there are a few that have been branded in my memory - distinct pieces and feels and that I have literally watched and the entire time and just been like "holy shit, I love that" or "GASP! fuck. this is so killer!"

DEREK LAM RTW FALL 2012
Lam displayed just the right amount of fashion forward notions while carrying an extremely inviting warmth that proved this collection was an accurate definition of off the runway wearable. Meaty cable knits set atop light fabrics, leather used as a constant throughout the presentation and skirts and dresses that moved across the floor like a thick fog that rolls through the city swallowing everything it floats over.





Altuzarra RTW Fall 2012
I mean, where do I begin? I love everything about it from the Moroccan textures and prints to the gypsy-esque patterns and embellishments to the mohair tailored toggle jackets. Joseph got his inspiration for this collection from an Italian comic book character Corto Maltese, a man who fancied adventuring to tropical hideaways. I die for the silhouette of the thick pea coats and over the knee boots. Like Lam, Altuzarra's collection carried just the right amount of leather as a cohesive platform for the collection. Jackets with stiff oversized collars dressed in rich brown furs, tailored jackets made from manipulated fabrics...is there anything else to say besides... SWOON? I'm so drunk on this collection.








all images via: Woman's Wear daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment